Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wisdom from Above

Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom (James 3:13).

In January I joined a Community Group here at Christ Community Church.  Community Groups are co-ed small groups.  They vary in how they are run, but ours meets just about every week to share a meal, discuss Scripture, and pray for each other.  It has probably been the sweetest addition to my life this new year.  I get to witness God's grace working in other people's lives through all of our struggles and triumphs.  My favorite part of being together is serving each other.  Whether it is preparing the meal, praying for someone's need, or just listening to their life, Christ is truly present in our interaction as we labor to love one another.

We have begun making our way through the book of James every week, and the Lord has been using these words to open my eyes.  The book of James is such a practical outworking of our faith in Christ that it is incredibly helpful to helping the Christian know how to live, but it is also incredibly difficult as you are faced with your failures before God.

The monotony of my part-time internship at a local retailer (not my CCC internship) has begun to erode my attitude while I'm there.  I have definitely noticed how my attitude has gone from being purposely engaged in trying to relationally win people to the Lord to chugging along to my next paycheck.  I still work just as hard and well, but instead of stepping out to serve and love my coworkers I tend to grow in resentment and bitterness towards them.

James speaks directly to this when he says:
But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth.  This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic.  For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.  But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.  And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace (James 3:14-18).
It has been blatantly obvious to me that I am relying on earthly wisdom through my days at work and in many areas of my life.  My reliance on my own natural wisdom instead of God's wisdom has resulted in a general selfishness and pride within my heart.  It is painful when the Lord really lays your sin before you, but I am so thankful as I grow in my understanding of my brokenness as it leads to a greater understanding of how great God's mercy and grace is that has given my life and continues to sustain me.

I am thankful that my trials are producing steadfastness in my faith, and that out of that faith will increasingly come good works for the LORD!  Praise Him who gave me faith to believe in the redeeming work of Christ, and praise Him who continues to give me faith which refines my soul and brings me ever so closer to the Mighty King, Suffering Servant, and Great High Priest!




No comments:

Post a Comment