Friday, November 12, 2010

Who Shall Ascend?

One requirement of the Ministry Apprentice Program is that I take a day of solitude both in the fall and the spring.  So, this Thursday morning I went to Carolina Beach State Park and stayed until this morning.

A day of solitude is a day for rest in the Lord, and listening to Him.  A day for correction, instruction, awakening, restoration, peace...a day for the Lord and myself to be alone.  It isn't a walk in the park...I'm sinful, and it isn't easy for me to focus on the Lord for an entire day.  It takes discipline that I am rather short of, and often when I am finally focused my heart breaks by my sin He reveals to me.  Yet I always leave these days rather astounded at what God has revealed to me.  

It often feels like He teaches me ten different things, and just when I think I have understood what He is saying all ten things meld together into a coherent idea.  This day the Lord hit me from all sides concerning the affections of my heart.


The following is the morning entry in my journal:

Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD?
  And who shall stand in his holy place?
He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
  who does not lift up his soul to what is false
  and does not swear deceitfully.
He will receive blessing from the LORD
  and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
Such is the generation of those who seek him,
  who seek the face of the God of Jacob.  Psalm 24:3-6

The mark of one who truly seeks God is holiness.  The relationship between my effort and my personal holiness is often confusing.  Surely I can do nothing in ascension of holiness apart from the Holy Spirit working in me, but how does the Spirit's work in me come about?  What is my role?

Scriptures affirm that it is acceptable for us to labor in the pursuit of holiness, and anything short of labor is sloth.  Scripture is also clear that my justification before God is completely based upon Christ's righteousness imputed to my soul.  And that there is not one good granule within my heart apart from the saving grace of Jesus Christ.  So where does this leave us?

I am called to be holy, yet can do nothing without Christ.  It appears contradictory, but David gives a crucial piece of information.  The generation that seeks God's face will be marked by holiness (vs. 6).  It is my desire to know God intimately, to see His face, to sit before him with a burning heart crying out body and soul my affection for Him!  It is this and nothing else that can propel my soul toward holiness.  Only when my desire for God is greater than my desire for worldly treasures, worldly pleasures, worldly wisdom...only then will I be enabled by the Holy Spirit to ascend the holy hill.  Where are the affections of my soul this morning? 

1 comment:

  1. Yes and amen brother! Real encouraging sir. Praise the Lord for days of solitude & sweet wrestling with the Loving God! Love you dude and praying for your "ministry apprenticeship."

    ReplyDelete